The Arc of Portland Metro is searching for a dynamic, visionary, full-time Executive Director. This small nonprofit supports individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and their families in Multnomah, Clackamas and Washington counties. The Executive Director search committee is looking for a nonprofit professional with a dedication to the mission of The Arc as well as a strategic vision to better serve our community.
STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
SALARY RANGE: $50,000 – $65,000 per year
LOCATION: Portland, Oregon
DEADLINE: October 17, 2021
About The Arc of Portland Metro
The Arc Portland Metro (serving Clackamas, Multnomah and Washington Counties) is a private, nonprofit, member-based organization that supports individuals with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and their families. Our vision is for people with all levels of ability to have and embrace the opportunity to work, have relationships, contribute to their communities, and live life to the fullest.
Formerly known as PARC, the organization was founded in 1953 by a group of 12 parents of children with intellectual and other developmental disabilities. Almost 70 years later, the organization continues as an enduring advocate and provider of supportive services. The philosophy of community services has changed, and inclusion is a standard, not a dream. Today, The Arc remains a neutral place to receive information and support, ask questions, learn about legal rights, and engage in personal and community advocacy.
The Arc Portland Metro is a local chapter of The Arc of the United States and The Arc Oregon.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with staff and a Board of Directors who are passionate about the mission of The Arc and ready to grow the organization to new heights. In the past two years, the organization has grown its geographic footprint and opened a The Arc Thrift Store in Southeast Portland. The Arc of Portland Metro currently has a staff of ten and an annual operating budget of $580,000. In addition to the Thrift Store, the organization provides Community Inclusion services, community programming including health and wellness classes, and recently entered a strategic partnership with Club Impact.
The Ideal Candidate
The successful Executive Director candidate will ensure that the agency philosophy, vision and mission statements are pertinent and practiced throughout the organization. The Arc of Portland Metro ED Hiring Committee specifically seeks candidates with the following experience:
Education and Experience
Any combination of the following education, experience, and/or training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the duties of the position.
- Knowledge of IDD culture and services.
- Four-year college degree.
- At least 5 years of senior management experience, nonprofit and/or administration of a social service delivery system preferred.
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project management skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Integrity, positive attitude, respect for others, and self-direction.
Management, Leadership and Organization
The Executive Director supervises staff, oversees all operations, and works in collaboration with the Board of Directors to maintain the viability of the organization. Specifically, the Executive Director will:
- Supervise and collaborate with organization staff, offering opportunities for growth by developing professional and leadership skills of all team members.
- Oversee day-to-day operation of the organization including Human Resources, finances, program delivery, as well as advocacy and outreach activities.
- Provide effective support to the Board of Directors, including the development of materials and processes for Board recruitment, orientation, and development.
- Implement and manage the organization’s strategic plan as approved by the Board.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Relationship Building and Fund Development
- The Executive Director will actively engage and energize volunteers, board members, committees, consumers, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Establish and maintain relationships with various organizations, community leaders, local media and other Arc chapters and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance the organization’s mission.
- Oversee fundraising activities, including grants, proposals, capital fund drives and special events.
- Prepare or oversee the submission of applications for government grants and contracts and assure completion and submission of reports to external agencies on a timely basis.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- Dedication to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and Americans with Disabilities Act principles.
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
- Starting Salary Range $50,000 to $65,000 based on skills and experience.
- Health benefits include Medical with 50% employer paid premium. Dental available with employee paid premium.
- Paid Vacation and Sick Leave with annual rollover.
- Retirement SIMPLE IRA with up to 3% employer match.
- Professional Development support and growth opportunities.
- Mileage and Travel expense reimbursement.
- Flexible work schedule and remote work options to support a healthy work/life balance.
How to Apply
Submit the following by 5:00 pm on Sunday, October 17, 2021:
- A cover letter that answers the question: How have your experiences prepared you to take on the role of The Arc of Portland Metro Executive Director?
- A complete resume.
- Send your resume and cover letter as a PDF via email to ArcpdxEDsearch@gmail.com, Attention: Executive Director Search Committee.
- We will acknowledge receipt of your application and all inquiries will be confidential.
About the Process
The hiring process for this position is planned as follows:
- Applications accepted from September 17-October 17.
- Initial interviews to be held the week of October 25, with an expectation for additional interviews with staff, board members and consumers for final candidates.
- Expected start date between December 6 and December 20, 2021.